Thursday, September 15, 2011

10 day challenge - Day 8


If I thought that choosing 4 books was hard, this challenge of choosing 3 movies is even harder. Now if M was writing this post, then his answer (ready in a jiffy) would be Bourne Identity 1, 2 and 3 :D (I think).. Haha ! But since M is not writing it and I am, I am hoping to be able to justify my choices properly .. So that when I read this blog, say 2 years from now, I still agree with my choices (atleast 2 out of 3). I am known to love movies but I have to come realize I probably would have watched only half the no. of movies when compared to others like M ... Even then, my list of watched movies is still pretty long ... So this was definitely a mind boggling task ! Finally I think I have made up my mind to list 3 movies I love and can watch it any number of times... I have also tried to choose one from each language of English, Hindi and Tamil .. and one from each decade of my life... I hope you like them too !!

Disclaimer: These are my 3 picks for reasons which might not have been explained perfectly here but I do stand by them !!!

My 1980's decade and tamil movie pick is

1. Vikram (1986) - I knw I knw, you are surprised to see this movie on my list (M mainly)... This is a Kamal Hassan starrer with action, romance, stunts, and a bunch of hindi actors... I did have a tossup between this movie and Kaakha Kaakha (2003)(ohh, I love drooling over both Surya and Jo in that movie anytime and all the time) but Vikram won. And I think the reason is that this is one Tamil movie I remember very distinctively from when I was say 10 years old. I remember watching it for the first time on TV and then wanted to watch it again and again. I am not sure if we recorded it or had a VCR cassette, but yeah, I do know I loved it and also knew the songs well (atleast then). Eventhough I have not watched this movie in a while (say in the last couple of years or may b even more), I can still vividly remember a lot of scenes from this movies. This movie kinda had a modern Hollywood-ish side to it which was uncommon to Tamil cinema then .. And I should admit that I came to this conclusion in the present times and not when I was 10 years old. So for all Tamil movie watchers and others, I think it is time you watched it (yet again)

Now moving on to my Hindi movie -

2. Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge (1995) - My favorite star couple and for millions too, Shahrukh Khan and Kajol rock it in this movie which has the right mix of fun, romance, family drama and lil action. This movie makes you believe in love and finding the 'knight in shining armor' from your dreams. It teaches about family and respect and how love and patience can win over everything. There couldn't have been more perfecr couple. Every girl wishes for a guy like Raj who would fast along with you on Karva Chauth :) All the guys would want a girl like Simran who is fun and sexy yet wants to wear only the ring given by you on her ring finger.It has been a long time since the movie has released but still it feels like new everytime you watch it.
I know I would have lot of ppl disagreeing with me jus coz they dnt like SRK..And all I want to say to myself in reply to the cynics, "Senorita, Bade Bade Deshon Mein Aisee Chhoti Chhoti Baatein Hoti Rehti Hain." (My other two contenders for this spot were Maine Pyar Kiya (1989) and Hum Aapke Hain Kaun(1994))

And my English pick is

3. The Blind Side (2009) - One of the true stories which was converted into a beautiful movie ... It is inspiring and yet heart wrenching at the same time ...The comic timing is impeccable (esp SJ; I loved him)... This is one movie I can watch any no. of times and still doesn't bore me. The movie shows how you could be change in someone's life when they least expect it .... How you could still be successful inspite of what the life throws at you... It teaches you how you can distinguish from right and wrong, how you can believe in urself and achieve the impossible ... it is a simple yet powerful movie! I still haven't read the book, and usually I would done that by now, but somehow I think the movie is good in itself for me... This movie makes me laugh, makes me think and makes me want to do something good to someone ! I know there are some amazing movies out there which might be better than this in a lot of ways, but somehow this movie is good for me in every sense. (My other choices were Transformers (2007) or 300 (2006))

As always, here is the guide to the others posts from my  10 day challenge - Day 1Day 2Day 3Day 4Day 5Day 6 and Day 7


See ya tmr!! :)


No comments: