Tuesday, September 13, 2011

10 day challenge - Day 7



Before I start today's post, I want to apologize for the delay in writing. And honestly the only reason I couldn't write was because I couldn't narrow it down to four books, and also find a way to keep the post interesting. Finally I decided, I have to just try and not make up any more excuses. When I took up this 10 day challenge, I think I was supposed to blog for 10 continuous days. Even though I didn't achieve that, I did achieve my ulterior motive of being more active on my blog than I have been ever before and I am proud of this. Hopefully I find interesting topics to write about in future too. :) Now that I have made my confession and expressed my guilt ;), lets get back to today's job.

Picking 4 books was really difficult for me. Coz I can never say that this book changed my life or I can quote lines from this book ... I think I sometimes like the theme or author more than a single book..Other times, I jus think it was a good read even tho it mite have written real badly ... I also love reading M&Bs even now .. So you can imagine I am not exactly the best person to critique a book in any way ... But since I have to do it, I am gonna choose 4 of the book I would want my kids to read..... I would also like to add that though these books have made it to today's list, I might have other books which I love more. You might agree with my list and even have some better suggestions for me and I welcome those. There is one thing I do hope to achieve through this post .. and that is that you do read the books I mention here...

1. Enid Blyton books - Growing up, I loved Enid Blyton books. I would read them every summer as I was able to borrow from the library of a school I visited in summer holidays. I was friends with the librarian and she would actually let me borrow as many books as I wanted (and my dad working there helped too). I think I would read and re-read them several times :) I loved reading Enid Blyton and I think it was the first glimpse I got of life outside of India. It is also in her book series of Malory Towers and St. Clare's series is where I got to know the fun life you would have at a boarding school. And I think this is what inspired me to go live in hostel during college even when I had a chance to be a day-ski (Anna Univ lingo for Day Scholar). I also became very fluent in english, thanks to all these readings !! So yeah, if you have never read an Enid Blyton, I think you should.

P.S. - If you feel like giving me a gift for no particular reason, Malory Towers or St. Clare's series would be perfect :D

2. Harry Potter series by J K Rowling - You know I have to include this here. A revolutionary series which came about in my lifetime :) What started as an unknown author and very normal reading affair for me, became a favorite series for me. The first time I laid my hands on HP 1, it was when I came to know that I was going to be waiting on my Aunt at hospital for the night, I decided to find a book to keep me occupied and found this book on the table at my cousin's house. I didn't know anything about it and I jus grabbed it as I was in a hurry. I remembering reading it all night in the dim bedside light. My eyes were being strained and the funny irony was that I was a in an eye hospital :D Anyways, I have read all the book multiple times and also watched all the movies. My favorite one is the first one. It is an amazing series, no matter what any one else says. I am definitely a HP fan :)

3. Ramayana and Mahabharatha by Rajaji - Growing up in India, I am sure you would have heard a lot of stories about Gods and Goddesses, the story behind Diwali or story of Krishna jus like I did. You would have also watched Ramanand Sagar's Ramayana or familiar with the Mahabharatha TV show's beginning music/dialogues ... I have also read some of the short stories through Amar Chithra Katha .. So when I wanted to read the complete Ramayana and Mahabharatha, I was suggested the version written by C. Rajagopalachari. And I must say, I am thankful to whoever made that suggestion (I cant remember who :D)... Both books are very succinct, and in a simple language but still captures the essence of the book. It also has all these short stories in between the main story line, some of which you have heard of and other you haven't. So if you want to read an abridged version of these two epics and in English, I would highly recommend this. I also own copies of these two as I sometimes like to read random chapters. I also recommend reading it so that you can understand the Hinduism a little bit more and also learn at the same time.

4. The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch with Jeffrey Zaslow - If I have to suggest an inspiring book to someone, I would suggest this. This book for me is all about positivie thinking, hopes and dreams, about family and love and about life and death. It is a very realistic to me and also inspires me without actually focusing on inspiring me. I can relate it to some ways and learn from it in some other ways. It is one book I would want every body to own and read it once in a while to remember what is imporatant to them!

If you haven't read my other posts yet, you can find with here - Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, Day 4, Day 5 and Day 6

No comments: