Friday, October 29, 2010

My travel encounters in India (Part 1 of the series :D )

Every trip to home (India) is an adventure in itself.. beginning with a big shopping list and even bigger shopping bill ... trying to find the best deals and venturing out to buy things that never made it to ur shopping list in the first place .... trying to fit this enormous shopping into 2 suitcases 50lbs each (23 kgs each for the folks living in the rest of the world outside US :D) .... a 40 hr journey full of anticipation and excitement, crappy leg space and feels-super-long layovers... BUT then again, this is all totally worth it ... to see the happy faces of your loved ones waiting for you at the airport arrival lounge !

Now that I have given an elaborate  intro which is totally not wat I wanted to focus on, lemme finally get to the point which is to write my observations about anything and everything ...TIME to begin

1. A minimum of 1" inch heel sandals is a common place for any girl...I wonder how they are able to walk on the uneven road surfaces +  run around to catch buses/trains ... Personally, I am not able to wear them on a daily basis even when the roads are good

2. Usage of the new Rupee symbol - I really liked the new rupee symbol ... But  I find it really weird when I find it in place of the  very familiar "Rs."  .. .It would take a lil time to get used to but it is a nice change and I am proud that India now has its currency symbol


3. The good old habit of reading newspaper (I mean the non-virtual one) in the morning .... I remember the days when everyone in my family would wait for the morning paper and fight for being first one to read their fav sections (esp on sundays)... I missed that while living in the US where we are so much into the internet and reading news as such.... It was wonderful to hold the paper in my hands lying down on the easy chair, listen to the lil sounds while turning the pages and making a mess of the pages by mixing the page numbers by the time i finished reading them.. plus luckily there was no fight today morning coz there were 2 papers, and with my sis still slping and dad out of town .. it was jus mom and I (and yes, I got up at 5.45 am, a thing which is usually unknown to me - courtesy jet lag) reading a paper each and then being very amiable when the time came for exchange :D

More observations to follow as and when I find time to write about them between my shopping sprees and eating home cooked food and also the not-so-healthy street chaat ! 

2 comments:

Nisha Prem said...

I cant wait to experience all of this...Keep going with ur list...would love to read them

gautham said...

keep writing. even after your wedding! :)