Monday, March 12, 2012

Baked Sabudana Vada

Inspiration: My dear husband M, a calories conscious person who still wants the taste of fried food. :D

Inspite of being told to write a food blog or atleast post the recipes for some of the things I make, I have always shied away from writing one (may be coz there are loads of them on the internet) ... But this one I guess, was an exception to the rule ... Sabudana is something a lot of people love but usually cant get the dish right or it is jus too much work or too many calories ...



So here is the recipe of my sabudana vada which I baked to avoid the many calories from deep frying .. It was crispy and yummy. I followed a recipe I found online (find that here) but modified it a lil bit for reasons explained below : 

Ingredients 

  1. Sabudana - 2 cups 
  2. Potato - 4 small ones or 2 medium sized 
  3. Onion (red) - 1/2 cup chopped
  4. Corriander - 3 tsp (and more if you like it)
  5. Green chillies - 4 chopped finely
  6. Lemon Juice - 2-3 tsp
  7. Red chilly powder - 1/2 tsp
  8. Ginger - 1 tsp chopped 
  9. Peanuts - 1/2 cup 
  10. Cumin - 1 1/2 tsp 
  11. Salt - according to taste 

Steps to follow
  • Soak sabudana for 3 hrs min - jus add enough water to cover the sabudana entirely. Once soaked, drain excessive water. 
  • Boil potatoes and then mash it - Add to sabudana 
  • Roast peanuts without oil. Remove skin and grind it into a rough mixture. Or you can rough chop it too. Add to above. 
  • Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. 
  • Preheat Oven to 400F
  • On a baking sheet, put an aluminium foil. Spray oil on the entire foil 
  • Take about 1 tbsp of mixture, flatten it out between your palms and then put it on the baking sheet. You can do upto 12-15 pieces at one time. Make sure you leave a little space between each piece. 
  • Spray a little oil on each piece or use a brush to coat it with oil. 
  • Bake it in the oven for about 20-22 mins.Could be a little longer if you want it more cooked.   
  • Flip them in between. Spray oil again if desired.  
They should be golden brown - with crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. 

Note 1: Add curry leaves to the mixture. I didnt have any but I always love them in my vada
Note 2: I am not a fan of garam masala in vadas, so didn't add it. 

No comments: